The Sanctuary Organ was built by the Austin Organ Company of Hartford, Connecticut in 1900, moved to the current sanctuary in 1911, and was rebuilt and enlarged in 1917. The Antiphonal organ was installed in 1912. Divided chambers and a new four-manual console comprised the 1930 renovation. In 1954, under the guidance of Austin Lovelace, the instrument was enlarged and tonally redesigned by the Austin Company, with yet another redesign and refurbishing undertaken in 1999 and done by the Howell Organ Company. The recent 2009 renovation provided a new four-manual draw-knob console constructed by the Reuter Organ Company of Lawrence, Kansas, two new pipe ranks, a French Horn and a Viola Celeste in the Solo division, and four new digital voices, including a 32’ Bombarde, 32’ Contra Viole, Harp and Chimes. A Peterson solid state system with multiple memories and midi was also part of the renovation.
Ericksen, Christian, & Associates, curators of the both organs in the church, installed the new console, the new pipe ranks and the digital voice equipment as well as rewiring the entire organ.
THE CHAPEL ORGAN
The Chapel organ was built by the Austin Organ Company in 1930. Originally, the organ served both the Chapel and the Great Hall, with identical consoles in each room. The organ contains 17 ranks, with the pipes situated in a large chamber between the two spaces. The Great Hall console has been removed and a complete refurbishing of the instrument is under consideration.